Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mid-term Down Time

It is official, I have passed my first anatomy class. I would love to say that I have passed anatomy period, except for the fact that we still have musculoskeletal anatomy next year (translation: arms, legs, and back). So today I am sitting on the couch with almost nothing to do. Well no, there is a lot I should be doing, but right now I am sitting on the couch writing this post, cleaning out my inboxes and waiting for the mailman to bring my next netflix movie.

Anatomy is over, so why am I sad? Well, I think for a number of reasons. For the past 6 weeks, I have been living, breathing, sleeping, studying anatomy. I don't think I have had a night's sleep in the last 6 weeks that hasn't included at least one dream about anatomy. You can ask Chemical Craig, he has had the misfortune of talking to me while I am barely awake and mumbling about superman, trapezius muscles, and who knows what else. And anyone who has had the misfortune of being around me has heard all about dissections, obscure nerves and blood vessels and completely uninteresting tidbits like the etymologic root of several obsure anatomical terms. And I guess I should apologize to my sister for tickling her and then explaining the exact nervous reflex that is involved.

But now the class is done. And I don't feel I really got to say goodbye to the class. I won't miss the schedule, but it has been what I have been living for the past 6 weeks. I will miss the professors, I will miss some of the lame inside jokes my lab group had, and I am sad about our cadaver. I don't feel that I got a chance to get to say goodbye. But maybe that was because the smell alone was enough to hasten my exit on the last day. While the class was going on, I had to distance myself and pretend it was just plastic and unreal, but now I can be a bit sad. And anyone who does know me, knows that I get sad at the ends of things (movies, books, moving, etc.)

Oh well, the next bunch of classes start in a couple of days. And in the mean time, I get to go down to Eugene to see two of the three C's in my life.

Oh yeah, and today I am supposed to be getting some things done, like cleaning my apartment, washing all of the stinky anatomy clothes, washing my dishes, but right now I am just sitting on the couch, will probably put a movie on, pick up my cross-stitching, and my kitten is sleeping right next to my shoulder.

It's nice to be lazy once in a while. Especially since I passed anatomy and I am one step closer to becoming a doctor.

No comments: